Welcome to Elements of VIBRANT LIVING. Navigate your way into a more vibrant life! On this page you can find info on how to increase your energy and your total sense of well being. You can learn to create new grooves to help support positive lifestyle choices. Breathe deeply, eat well, and live simply!
FOUNDATION: The foundation for Vibrant Living is based on the yogic principles of ahimsa, (non-harming), satya (truthfulness) saucha, (purification, toxin free), tapas (discipline) & svadyaya (self-study).
COMMON OBSTACLES TO VITALITY:
a. shallow breathing or irregular breathing patterns
c. poor diet/ poor elimination/toxic body/dis-ease
d. poor quality sleep or poor sleep patterns
e. stress & negativity: traumas, fears, negative thoughts, negative relationships, addictions, toxic thoughts
f. inertia or lack of movement
Step One is to take inventory and see where you have obstacles that are preventing you from feeling optimal.
MAKE NEW CHOICES:
Step Two is to begin to make choices that support your well-being. This might include working with the breath, making sure you are well hydrated, changing your diet, getting more sleep, exercising, and eliminating stress.
CREATE NEW GROOVES:
Begin with small changes, one at a time and move from there. It takes time and effort to let go of old grooves and create new grooves.
Without cultivating awareness it is difficult to shift to a new paradigm or thought pattern. The most direct way of making change is to bring awareness to your thoughts and witness the actions that follow. When we find that we are repeating old patterns or falling back into old deeply worn grooves, awareness can draw us to being present. This gives us a chance to make a decision through clarity instead of plowing ahead mindlessly. Mindfulness is a practice that can support any new change which you want to establish and sustain.
- Breathe deeply! Practice diaphragmatic breathing
- Hydrate with Pure WATER. Skip sports drinks and other sweet beverages
- Drink lemon water when you first wake up! This neutralizes the body and is great for digestion.
- Drink fresh juices. Green juices are amazing for alkalizing the body.
- Put More PLANTS ON YOUR PLATE! Studies have shown that a plant based diet, which is high in fiber, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals, can help prevent many common diseases such as heart disease, cancer, obesity and diabetes.
- Optimize your intake of fresh organic fruits, vegetables, nut and seeds.
- Minimize cooked foods. Steam or cook in water.
- Minimize your intake of animal products and processed foods.
- Eliminate caffeine, sugar, white flour, fried foods and junk foods
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco and drugs.
- Avoid drinking with meals. Drink 30 minutes before or after.
- Eat slowly and chew well.
- Listen for the bodies cues and avoid feeling “stuffed”.
- Avoid eating on the go or while doing other activities.
- Avoid eating before bed. Your body rejuvenates while you sleep. If it is busy digesting you miss out on the benefits of the healing process.
- Consider a whole food cleanse which includes juicing and blended foods to renew the body, mind and spirit.
- Dry Brush your skin. This is great for stimulating your lymphatic system; you'll feel more vibrant.
- Go to sleep early and wake up rested!
- Reduce stress with the practice of deep relaxation.
- Practice Yoga! This is great for your lymphatics, helps to prevent osteoporosis, builds strength, reduces stress and offers many more vital benefits!
- Get outside and move! Hiking, biking, walking, swimming, skating, dancing under the moon are a good way to start.
- Be in nature.
- Think positive thoughts.
- Smile, laugh and love as much as you can.
- Surround yourself with positive, loving people.
In this food, I clearly see the presence of the entire universe
supporting my existence.
~ Thicht Nhat Hanh
Ellen Forman, E-RYT500, certified yoga teacher and yoga therapist, artist, activist, animal advocate, and holistic lifestyle educator, enjoys leading Vibrant Living workshops in and around the Hudson Valley. Her workshops include Juicing & Detoxing: 3 Part Series and The Benefits of Plant Based Nutrition, where students learn about positive lifestyle choices to enhance energy, attitude and overall well-being.
Ellen's work is based on over thirty years of experience and research based on books, films, workshops, seminars and teacher trainings. She has gathered a comprehensive body of information that is supported by science, statistics and personal experience. Her journey towards health started as a pioneer in the natural food industry (in the early 80's) as co-owner and chef at Nature's Exchange, the first vegetarian cafe in The Bronx. Ellen is certified in Plant Based Nutrition from T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
"Food matters and our lifestyle choices play a huge role in how we feel on a day to day basis and can help us find our way back to balance and vibrant health. By advocating a whole foods plant based diet, I encourage good health, a cleaner planet and compassion for animals."
Holistic Lifestyle Coaching by appointment e-mail: email@example.com